Resource | Indian Crop Calendar
We created a simple visual calendar to illustrate the crop seasons in India. Teachers can create the same on a large chart paper and display in class.
- Every month, ask the students to visit the vegetable and fruit market to find out which vegetables and fruits are on sale. Have them record their findings on a calendar. This will help them identify which items are available throughout the year and which as seasonal.
- Have students make a list of the harvest festivals of India and add them to the calendar. Also, find out about harvest festivals celebrated around the world and add them to the calendar. This will help them understand the significance of harvest celebrations around the world.
To use a larger version of the crop calendar for printing (we have included a black & white version), download the The Indian Crop Calendar Sheet [PDF 2.5MB]
- “E2kB Farming – Rabi, Kharif and Zayad Crops – Animal Husbandry – Fishery.” E2kB Farming – Rabi, Kharif and Zayad Crops – Animal Husbandry – Fishery. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 July 2014. <http://etawah.nic.in/farming.htm>.
- “Kharif Crop.” Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 16 July 2014. Web. 17 July 2014. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kharif_crop>.
- “Rabi Crop.” Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 16 July 2014. Web. 17 July 2014. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabi_crop>.