Classroom Activity | Travel Ideas
Studying another country? Why not challenge the students to create a virtual trip to that country? Start with each student creating a suitcase using a small box that could be decorated with pictures of places and symbols of the destination country. After that, the travel bag would have to contain items necessary for such a trip. These could be created again, using pictures or hand drawings. Some suggestions for inclusion might be:
- draw or copy a map showing landforms, waterways and major cities
- suggestions for appropriate clothing for a specific time of year
- a restaurant menu featuring foods of the country or its near neighbours
- an itinerary of places to see and things to do
- a list of possible health concerns (malaria in equatorial areas, frostbite in northern Canada in winter, sunburn in the desert etc.)
- music, art or cinema created by artists from this country
Students might also determine the approximate cost the trip with the help of a travel agent or the internet. This is a great collaboration with basic math calculations.
What other ways would you use this travel experience?